- Executive Masters Diploma in Organizational Leadership at University of Oxford, Saïd Business School (December, 2022)
- Doctorate of Education in Educational Leadership at Sam Houston State University (May, 2016)
- Dissertation title: The Harkness Approach to Teaching and Learning: Teacher Perceptions of a Student-centered, Discussion-based Pedagogy.
- Master of Education (August, 2012) in Educational Administration at Sam Houston State University.
- Bachelor of Arts (May, 2002) in Psychology at The University of San Diego.
- Assistant Head of School
- Head of Upper School/Vice President, 2017-2022
- Little Rock Christian Harkness Training, Director, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
- Little Rock Christian Academy, Little Rock, Arkansas, July 2017-present
- Adjunct Professor Gordon College M.A. in Leadership
- Gordon College Graduate School of Leadership, 2020-Present
- LEA 702 Leadership Theories and Practices
- LEA 710 Instructional Leadership and Assessment
- Head of Middle School for grades 5-8,
- Second Baptist School, Houston, Texas, June 2013 – June 2017
- Dean of Students for grades PK-12,
- The Woodlands Preparatory School, The Woodlands, Texas, August 2010 – 2013
- Mathematics Instructor/Varsity Baseball/Varsity Soccer/Varsity Basketball Head Coach,
- The Woodlands Preparatory School, The Woodlands, Texas, August 2007 – 2013
- Mathematics Instructor/Dorm Parent/Varsity Baseball/ JV Basketball Head Coach for grades 6-12,
- The Phelps School, Malvern, Pennsylvania, August 2003 – 2007
PROFESSIONAL LICENSURE AND CERTIFICATION
- Colson Fellow 2019-2021, Colson Center for Christian Worldview
- Harvard University, Graduate School of Education: New and Aspiring Leaders Program, 2014
- Principal Certification, Texas
- Secondary Mathematics 8-12 Certification, Texas
- Smith, J.A. (2021, Summer). Hope and Hard Conversations. The Warrior, 12-13.
- Smith, J.A. & Lepine, J. (December 2020). Rising Leaders’ Guide to Change and Innovation: Keeping a Kingdom Mindset [Blog post]. Retrieved from https://cace.org/rising-leaders-guide-to-change-and-innovation-keeping-a-kingdom-mindset/
- Smith, J.A. (2020, Winter). Blueprinting Harkness. The Warrior, 10-11.
- Smith, J.A. (2019). From Scarcity to Abundance, 41-51. In L.E. Swaner, D. Beerens, & E. Ellefsen, Mindshift: Catalyzing change in Christian education. Association of Christian Schools International: Colorado Springs, CO.
- Smith, J. A. (2018, September 18). Harkness: Timely, Timeless Innovation [Blog post]. Retrieved from https://cace.org/harkness-timely-timeless-innovation/
- Smith, J. A. (2018, March 16). The Harkness Approach Brings Student-centered, Discussion-based Learning to LRCA [Blog post]. Retrieved from https://www.littlerockchristian.com/about/warrior-roundtable/warrior-roundtable-post/~board/warriorville-roundtable/post/the-harkness-approach-brings-student-centered-discussion-based-learning-to-lrca
- Smith, J. A. (2017, September). On Raising Our Kids to be Adults [Blog post]. Retrieved from https://www.littlerockchristian.com/about/hidden-pages/home-page-news-post/~post/on-raising-our-kids-to-be-adults-20170901
- Smith, J. A. (2016). Voices from the field, 122-123. In T. B. Jones & D. C. Barrett, Harnessing the dynamics of public education: Preparing for a return to greatness. Rowman & Littlefield: Lanham, MD.
- Smith, J. A., & Slate, J. R. (2015). Private school principals of high and low achieving schools and student achievement and teacher collaboration. Journal of Education Research, 8(4), 1-6.
- Smith, J. A. (2014, February). Private school principals of high and low achieving schools and student achievement and teacher collaboration. Paper presented at the meeting of Southwest Educational Research Association (SERA) 2014 Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Harkness Leaders Conference 2019, 2022, 2023, Phillips Exeter Academy, “Extreme Makeover School Edition: Blueprinting Harkness within Christian Education” Inaugural conference for school leaders in implementing the Harkness Method
- TechFest 2013, Second Baptist School, “Stop, Collaborate, and Listen” All you need to know about Google Drive.
- TechFest 2014, Second Baptist School, “The Wonderful World of Twitter” How Twitter can be used in education and for professional development.
- Academic Advisory Board, Classic Learning Test, October 2022 - present
- Board of Trustees, The Phelps School, Malvern, PA. Trustee 2012 - present, college preparatory boarding school
- NAIS Annual Conference, 2012
- Exeter Humanities Institute, Phillips Exeter Academy, 2014
- Cate School Observations, 2015
- The Thacher School Observations, 2015
- The Lawrenceville School Observations, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Exeter Harkness Observations, Phillips Exeter Academy, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 (fall and spring), 2019
- St. Paul’s School Observation, 2015
- Phillips Academy, Andover Observation, 2015
- St. John’s School Observations, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Apple Distinguished School, Second Baptist School, Apple HQ training Cupertino, CA, summer 2016
- SBS Harkness Institute, director, 2014, 2015, 2016
- NEXT Leadership Summit, Gordon College, MA 2017, 2018, 2019
- CESA Annual Symposium, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 (Planning Committee Member), 2021, 2022
- CESA Leadership Intensive, Oxford University, 2023
- Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy, OH Observations, 2018
- The Hill School, PA Observations, 2018
- Valley Christian Schools, CA Observations, 2018
- Monte Vista Christian School, CA Observations, 2018
- Stanford University, CA Observations, 2018
- Belmont Hill, MA Observations, 2018
- Phillips Exeter Academy Observations, 2018
- Global Christian School Leadership Summit (GCSLS), 2019
- Second Baptist School Observations, 2019
- MindShift, 2018, 2019, 2021 National Braintrust group of 15-20 Ed Leaders discussing the future of Christian Education
- Phillips Exeter Academy, Harkness Leaders Conference (core team) 2019-present
- CONVERGE, San Diego, ACSI Conference, 2021 (Planning Committee Member)
- Hillsdale College, MI Observations & Conference, 2022
- The Woodlands Christian Academy Observations, 2022
SPIRITUAL LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCES
- Second Baptist Church - The Trail, Bible Study Teacher, 2016 - 2017
- Second Baptist Church - The Mission, Bible Study Director, 2015 - 2016
- Lonestar Cowboy Church, Montgomery, TX - Small Group Marriage Ministry Leader, Praise Band: guitar
- Colson Fellow 2021
- W Society (LRCA), 2022-2023, Leader/Director
OTHER NOTABLE COURSES
- Hillsdale College Online (7) courses: Constitution 101, Introduction to the Constitution, The Federalist Papers, Great Books 101: Ancient to Medieval, Economics 101, A Land of Hope (History of America), CS Lewis
- Houston Theological Seminary, Communicating for Life Change, fall 2016
- HarvardX, The Letters of the Apostle Paul, 2014
- BerkeleyX, English Grammar and Essay Writing, 2016
- Arizona State University, English Composition, 2016
- University of Queensland, English Grammar and Style, 2015
- OECD’s Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA), 2016
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Excellence in Superintendency Program Award, SHSU Doctoral Program, 2014
- Recipient of the “Senior Flag” The Woodlands Preparatory School, 2013
- Most Inspirational Educator, The Woodlands Preparatory School, 2013
- Teachers Who Inspire, Featured in Chester County Magazine, 2006